I decided to base all the sections off of 1x2, 1x1, 1x4 and 2x2 pieces. Seems this layout would give me the most variety. To start it off I made several frames of 1"x2" wood. I made frames around the pieces so the sides would not get damaged during transport.
I cut pieces of pink foam to the inner size of each frame. This is so I would have at least 1" of depth if I wished to dig down for any reason. (Water, craters, which ever). This done I moved on to the casting!
This was my test piece for both the frame system and the Hirst Arts Molds. I have to say I am VERY impressed with the quality of product put out by Hirst arts Molds. I cast the stones out of dental stone. I have the very best aunt in the world who just happens to be a dentist, and gives me an awesome discount on dental stone. The test piece is 1'x1'
I came up with the idea of making many (and I mean MANY) movable cover/detail pieces. These will be placed around for color and to block charge lanes etc.
Stay tuned for part 2!